Mr. Business at Work, Mr. Dad at Home.


Sometimes, I find it hard when I go from an intense five hour meeting to putting my little girl to bed and trying to get a quick chat in with my teenage daughter. (That said, sometimes my discussion with the older one can get more intense than the meeting!)

In order to manage both, I have a couple tips for you all!

Tip 1
The most important thing is to have a good partner in crime. My wife understands my schedule and is the most supportive and intelligent person I've ever met. We have a rule that at any time, I can 'tap out.' Tapping out means that the other person takes over all the parenting responsibilities for the moment, giving the other one time to decompress and get their bearings. We also discussed the arrangement before we had kids. Sometimes I have to miss a basketball game and that's okay!

Tip 2
Before you walk into your home, turn it off! Leave the job at the job. Your children didn't sign up for work and don't deserve and don't want a five hour diatribe about Kelvin at work. I'm not saying you shouldn't share your experiences at work with the family but maybe keep the bitter complaining and whining about the new computer policy to yourself.

Tip 3
Try to see a therapist! If you can afford it, therapy can be a great resource for you to express your concerns and issues in a healthy and productive manner. I recommend therapy for everyone but especially for those who lead an extremely busy and burdensome life. You owe it to yourself to take care of your mental health. If you let everything bottle up, it's not healthy and your stress level will be out of this world.

Tip 4
Meditate in the morning! Before you check in on that smart phone, take five minutes to relax and think about your day. Here's one of my recommendations:


Tip 5
Nobody's perfect. There is no perfect balance between work and life. For everyone, your balance will be a little bit different and that's okay. The important thing is not be too hard on yourself and let the small things go!


Location: San Francisco, CA, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment